Southern Poverty Law Center Press Conference
November 29, 2016 9:30 AM
Location: 4th Estate Room
CIVIL RIGHTS GROUPS TO CALL ON PRES.-ELECT TRUMP TO DENOUNCE RACISM AND BIGOTRY, WIDESPREAD HATE INCIDENTS
Washington, D.C. – On Tuesday, November 29, the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) and other civil rights groups will convene a press conference at the National Press Club calling on president-elect Donald Trump to immediately and forcefully publicly denounce racism and bigotry and to call on Americans to stop all acts of hate.
At the press conference the SPLC will release the following:
• A new count and analysis of hateful incidents – now more than 800 – that have occurred across the country since Election Day
• Results of a new survey, answered by more than 10,000 teachers across the country detailing the negative effect the election has had on school climates (a follow up to The Trump Effect)
Speakers will discuss the impact of the hateful incidents in communities and schools, the white nationalist (alt-right) influence on Trump’s campaign and incoming administration, and the implications of Trump’s recent appointments.
• Richard Cohen, Southern Poverty Law Center
• Wade Henderson, The Leadership Conference
• Brenda Abdelall, Muslim Advocates
• Janet Murguía, National Council of La Raza
Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 9:30 a.m.
Doors will open at 9:00 a.m. and a continental breakfast will be available.
The National Press Club: 529 14th Street NW, Washington, D.C.
Room: 4th Estate
There is also an option to call in. For call-in information, please RSVP below and indicate that you will be dialing in.
RSVP to Kirsten Bokenkamp, 334-314-6582; Kirsten.firstname.lastname@example.org
The Southern Poverty Law Center, based in Alabama with offices in Florida, Georgia, Louisiana and Mississippi, is a nonprofit civil rights organization dedicated to fighting hate and bigotry, and to seeking justice for the most vulnerable members of society. For more information, see www.splcenter.org.
For More Information On This Event, Contact: