Von Furstenberg Introduces Leadership Award Winners
March 26, 2009
Fashion Designer Diane von Furstenberg introduced five award-winning female leaders, including one journalist, at a press conference Thursday at the National Press Club.
The women received 2009 Global Leadership Awards from Vital Voices along with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton during a ceremony Thursday night at the Kennedy Center. The awards honor their achievements in economic entreprenuership, girls' education, anti-trafficking programs and combating violence against women.
"I believe in women's strength," von Furstenberg said. "I believe if you invest in woman, you can save the world."
The honorees are:
- Somaly Mam of Cambodia, for her work with victims of human trafficking
- Temituokpe Esisi of Nigeria, for establishing her own fashion design company in Lagos
- Marceline Kongolo-Bice of the Democratic Republic of Congo, for working to heal and rehabilitate rape victims and educating women on their rights
- Chouchou Namegabe Nabintu of the Democratic Republic of Congo, for using her broadcast journalism to fight government corruption and injustices against women
- Sadiqa Basiri Saleem of Afghanistan, for founding an education center for women