This Week In National Press Club History
April 29, 1985: The Washington Press Club and the National Press Club merge after a long struggle.
Women journalists had formed their own club in 1919 as the Women’s National Press Club. When the WNPC admitted men in 1971, it became the Washington Press Club.
April 30, 2010: Navy Secretary Ray Mabus announces at a luncheon that women will now be assigned to serve aboard submarines, “the absolutely right thing to do.”
May 1, 1950: Volume One of The Record is released, the first regularly published Club newsletter.