The National Press Club has membership categories and dues levels based on profession, geographic location, and age as outlined in our governing documents and approved by the Board of Governors.
Below you will find an overview of this structure and a link to the application. Please email email@example.com with any questions.
- You may qualify for Journalist membership if you work for a news outlet supported by advertising, paid subscriptions, or funded by a non–profit organization. Such organizations must operate with editorial independence from any political, government, commercial or special interest and produce work primarily to disseminate news.
Professions that usually qualify under this category include:
- Freelancers for qualified news outlets
- Editorial and news cartoonist or artist
- News photographer or videographer
- Web master or other editorial employee of a news outlet defined above
- This category also includes:
- Journalism instructors, professors and deans at the college level
- Non-fiction authors
- Journalist - $632 ($52.67/mo.)
- Journalist Retired - $344 ($28.67/mo.)
- Journalist Young member - $340 ($28.33/mo.)
Working journalists between 35 and 21 years of age quality for young member dues rates. Full-time students and interns under 21 years old may apply for a temporary membership. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Journalist Non-Resident - $254 ($21.17/mo.)
Journalist Non-Resident Retired - $161 ($13.42/mo.)
Applicants living or working outside of the following areas, including international applicants, are considered non-resident members: Washington, D.C.; the Maryland counties of Anne Arundel, Calvert, Charles, Frederick, Howard, Montgomery and Prince George’s; the Virginia counties of Arlington, Culpeper, Fairfax, Fauquier, Loudoun, Prince William, and Stafford, or the Virginia cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Fredericksburg, Manassas and Manassas Park.
If you live or work in the areas listed above, you pay regular dues amount.
You may qualify for Communicator membership if you fit into one of the following groups:
- Non-editorial employees for qualified news outlets such as business managers, advertising managers, circulation managers, promotion managers and system operators.
- Former journalists who worked as journalists for at least 10 years.
- Current and retired press aides for foreign or domestic governments.
- News Source members have regular contact with the 'working press,' such as public relation/communications professionals.
- Authors of books or plays, editors of books or film, poets, television or film script writers and book publishers.
- Student members who are enrolled full-time in undergraduate or graduate journalism programs; or work on campus .publications, broadcast outlets or news internet sites; or who otherwise intern or work part-time for qualified news outlets.
- Building tenants: persons whose office of employment is located at the National Press Building and do not qualify for one of the other above categories.
- Spouse/Partner : The spouse and partners of members of the National Press Club are eligible for full membership (except for voting privileges).
- Communicator - $780 ($65/mo.)
- Communicator Non-Resident - $391 ($32.58/mo.)
- Communicator Retired - $450 ($37.50/mo.)
- Communicator Student - $200 ($16.67/mo.)
- Communicator News Source - $912 ($76/mo.)
- Communicator Retired Non-Resident - $240 ($20.00/mo.)
- Communicator Young Member-under 35 - $523 ($43.58/mo.)