Making the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Work for You - Session I
November 18, 2013 6:30 PM
Location: First Amendment Lounge
This is a ticketed event. Click here to jump to the ticket form.
Making the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Work for You
Cost: NPC members $25 for both or $15 per session. Non-members $55 for both or $25 per session.
Need documentary evidence on government activity promptly and for a reasonable fee? Dramatically improve the quality and speed of your FOIA returns with pointed request and appeal skills taught by veteran journalist and Freedom of the Press Committee member, Lisette Garcia, J.D.
In this two-part workshop, participants will critique and edit case studies as a class in order to adopt language and strategy with a track record of overcoming standard objections raised by U.S. records custodians at local, state, and federal levels.
NOVEMBER 18, 6:30-8:00 p.m. - Session I (90 min., Internet-capable laptop required):
- Form, content, and procedure for successfully filing a record and fee waiver request in the public interest;
- Minimizing clarifications, referrals and other undue delays;
- Enforcing statutory deadlines without going to court
DECEMBER 2, 6:30-8:00 p.m. - Session II (90 min., Internet-capable laptop required):
- Form, content, and procedure for successfully filing a record and fee waiver appeal in the public interest;
- Making an effective case for release of documents or waiver of fees (especially if you're not a lawyer) by relying on facts and precedent;
- Enforcing statutory deadlines without going to court.
Workshop leader Lisette Garcia, J.D., founded the FOIA Resource Center to help lawmakers, journalists, and nonprofit organizations quickly and cost-effectively obtain the executive agency records they most need. Most recently, Lisette's FOIA requests prompted the U.S. Treasury Department to comply with data standardization provisions of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform & Consumer Protection Act:
Prior to law school, Lisette was a reporter/editor at The Miami Herald, The Kansas City Star, and the Associated Press. For all the latest FOIA developments, follow Lisette on Twitter: @foiafactor.
All sales are final; no refunds will be issued.
For More Information On This Event, Contact: